Synthetic stone products
We add a touch of distinction.
Reliable supplier of synthetic stones for countertops, vanity tops, worktops, and more that will provide the ideal alternative to the real thing
A reputable supplier of synthetic stones for countertops, vanity tops, worktops, and more can give you the best of both worlds: the robustness and classy appearance of natural stone without the relatively high level of maintenance that comes with real granite, marble, and other natural stone products.
Unlike natural stone, synthetic (or engineered) stone is a manufactured, composite product. It’s a blend of chiefly natural stone that’s ground down and mixed with an adhesive, typically polymer resins such as epoxy. Engineered stone can also contain stabilising chemicals, and UV absorbers that provide a defence against the damaging effects of ultraviolet sunlight.
Manufactured stone is more flexible, less porous, and harder than many types of natural stone. Common stones used to produce synthetic stone products in Singapore include marble, granite, and quartzite.
In the home, composite stone is often used for kitchen and bathroom countertops.
Because engineered stone contains a high level of natural minerals, it’s very hard and resistant to accidental damage. Unlike some natural stones, synthetic stone won’t soak up moisture or allow the penetration of grime, thus eliminating problems such as staining, discoloration, and formation of fungi and mould.
Synthetic stone vs natural stone
Artificial stone surfaces hold many advantages over natural stone counters, so let’s take a look at the main benefits in a little more detail.
- Hygiene. The lower porosity of manufactured stone countertops makes it a perfect hygienic surface for kitchens and bathrooms because it’s more resistant to mould and mildew than most natural stones. Another advantage of composite stone countertops is that they have a uniform internal structure, without concealed flaws or cracks that may be present in natural stone. This means engineered stone countertops give harmful bacteria less chance to accumulate and spread.
- Durability and easy maintenance. While some natural stones are prone to scratching or staining resulting from spills, cultured stone countertops are more impervious to damage from everyday use, and from heat and chemicals. The resistance to acids and alkalis means you don’t have to worry too much about the type of cleansing products you use on your composite stone worktops.
- Greater choice. Man-made stone countertops are produced by several leading brands and come in a range of shades that covers the entire colour spectrum. Most of these tones are provided by the natural minerals in the product, but colorants can be added to achieve the shade that suits your preferences. Prominent brands for artificial stone include Caesarstone and Silestone.
- Flexibility. The polyester binding agents in artificial stone countertops allow for some flexibility, which will help to prevent cracking under pressure, although these agents can continue to harden over time, resulting in some loss of flexibility.
- Uniformity. No two pieces of natural stone are exactly alike, and this uniqueness is favoured by some home-owners as an interior design bonus, but others prefer the more uniform colouring and patterning of man-made stone products.
- Affordability. Engineered stone is generally priced close to that of mid-range natural stone, although some high-end stones in certain colours (black onyx, for example) can be considerably dearer.
- Engineered stone countertops have a shorter lifespan.
- Prices can go up depending on the thickness, colour choice, and name brand of the product. In some cases, engineered stone tops can cost more to install than natural stone surfaces because they’re heavier.
- If you’re thinking about putting your house on the market, it’s also worth bearing in mind that artificial countertops won’t hold their value to the same extent as natural stone.
Wish to speak with an experienced and dependable stone surfaces supplier and installer about your needs?
Need help from a reliable and competitively-priced specialist stone surfaces wholesaler and installer?
Synthetic stone countertops customised for you
Engineered stone countertops and cultured stone vanity tops can be finished in a variety of ways to suit your style preferences and existing decor. Popular finishes in Singapore include:
- Polished, which will further enhance the low porosity of artificial stone, making it even easier to clean with mild detergents. A polished finish is frequently seen in engineered marble products and surfaces.
- Honed, for a smooth but more natural appearance because it lacks the reflective shine of polished finishes.
- Leathered, with a soft sheen that’s not as glossy as a polished finish and won’t show marks such as smudges and fingerprints.
As well as your choice of finish, the edge profile of a synthetic stone countertop can also play a major part in functionality and appearance. Common edging profiles adopted in Singapore include:
- Square edging, for a clean, sleek look. For safety reasons and to prevent chipping, the edges shouldn’t be too sharp.
- Mitred edging can help to make your synthetic stone countertop stand out, and it’s suitable in contemporary and traditional bathrooms and kitchens alike.
- Round edges provide an unassuming but modern-looking profile, with a discreet feel. This smooth edging is also practical in avoiding sharp edges.
- Bevelled edges can be more dramatic in appearance than square edges because they reflect more light. and create a sense of elegance.
- Bullnose edging will give your surface a timeless appearance, and looks particularly at home in traditional spaces.
Why you need a professional synthetic stone countertop, vanity top, and worktop supplier
If you like the look of natural stone, you’ll find that engineered quartz products and surfaces are somewhat similar in appearance to the elegance and sophistication of the real thing without needing the same level of care.
Synthetic stone countertops are generally resistant to heat, scratching, and staining, and don’t require sealing or other special treatments that are necessary with many natural stones.
If your kitchen or bathroom is exposed to strong sunlight beaming through your windows, the ultraviolet rays can damage some natural stone surfaces, causing darkening or fading. An engineered stone countertop with inbuilt UV resistance can reduce this problem.
Because manufactured stone surfaces can be very heavy – especially engineered granite products and surfaces – and require specialist skills to cut and shape the product, it’s definitely not a DIY job. So, you need to find a reputable, experienced synthetic stone countertop supplier.
Affordable, quality artificial stone countertops
Singapore Stone Industry is a leading stone surfaces supplier and installer, and we offer the finest manufactured stone products for both residential and commercial premises, backed by a warranty of up to 10 years, depending on the material used.
The Singapore Stone Industry team has combined experience of more than 50 years, and our skilled technicians undergo regular training to keep up to speed with the latest developments and advances in synthetic stone technology.
In line with our goal of providing the best synthetic stone products, we specialise in the supply and installation of affordable, high-quality engineered stone countertops for kitchens and bathrooms.
Besides supply and installation, our synthetic stone services also cover replacements, restorations, and repairs.
Let us know your requirements, no matter how big or small, we're sure we'll be able to help you out. Get in touch with us, and we'll respond to you within 3 working days.